Thursday, January 17, 2008

tests, more tests and a little aggravation

We spent this morning at the hospital. We go weekly to have the twins undergo non-stress testing. This morning, Jumpy failed the test, so it was all hands on deck. We had to go to radiology to get some sort of intense ultrasound scrutiny. The ultrasound took about 1.5 hours, and was totally unsatisfying. Seems everything is fine, babies are well....I guess. The tech emerged after writing up his report and said, "you're all set...the nurse says you can go home". And we're like...uh...so what the f*** happened?! And the dude was like...dunno. I just take the photos. So 5 hours after going to the hospital, we finally left with no answers other than "you seem to be fine".

Once we find out the results of the report, we'll let you know. But one particular instance of the ultrasound was really frustrating...only (thankfully) because it was all benign. About 1.4 hours into the scan, the tech...who up til this point was fairly quiet...said, "ok, we're almost all done with the test. All I need to see is Baby B take a breath, and we're all set." He puts the scanner on Jumpy and then...just kinda stares at the screen. I, too, am watching the screen intently. I see the heart beating away, but other than that all I can see in this ultrasound are circles and different shades of grey.

So the tech just sits there, staring. Now I'm starting to panic...is it possible for the baby to be moving around, heart beating, but have no lungs?! Can I donate a lung to an unborn son?!?! Sign me up, dammit. I have no idea if the baby's breathing or not. He asks Kathy to flip onto her side and take a few breaths herself. The image on the screen was pretty much the same (to me). Then, he jumps up and says, "ok...we're all set. I'm gonna go write up the report and I'll give it to the doctor for review". And away he goes (yes, paraphrasing Jackie Gleason today).

Kathy sits up and we start chatting. We're both kinda tired...emotionally and physically. Even still, we're pretty freakin' funny (to each other...to each other). 15 minutes and the tech returns, telling us the nurse says we're good to go. We stop and stare at the guy and say, "well....what are the results of the test?!" I mean, duh...! He said he thought everything looked fine. Well, so did I, Sherlock. Thanks.

We had a quick bite in the hospital coffee shop. We also had breakfast there. Breakfast sandwiches? Awesome. Chicken Marsala? Not so much. But we had to get back to work as my boss has been great so far but I don't know how long I can push it. So am I crazy for thinking, "WTF?!?"

I knew today was going to be a trying day when the toilet kept running this morning. Kathy's best friend Sue and her daughter Rebecca are coming down from Saratoga Springs, NY this weekend. I'm thrilled and cannot wait for them to arrive. They've agreed to help us get things ready for the babies. Heh...suckers. Plus, as a bonus, they're bringing pizza from D'Andreas - which just happens to be the best pizza I've ever had. Lookit my physique...you're reading the words of a man who obviously knows his pizza. Mmmmm...chicken parm pizza....

Toodleloo,
Joe