Monday, January 14, 2008

Caesar & Brutus

The babies are due to be born on March 15, 2008, so we've decided to name the children Brutus & Caesar Doherty. Okay, no. But that would be so cool. They'd be the greatest guards in the history of the NFL. Kathy & I started discussing names. We have it kinda narrowed down, but the final decision will be there in the delivery room. Alexander and Edward Van Doherty is probably not going to be the final pick. Nor will Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne Doherty. The collective sad sigh you just heard out your window would be all my friends' hopes flying away.


Can you tell I'm beginning to get excited about this whole baby thing? You betcha. This weekend I went out and bought two car seats from the Babies R Us megamart. I picked up the Graco SnugRide - Sterling infant car seat, times two.


I installed them on Sunday. Our car has those new LATCH connectors so installation was remarkably easy. Afterwards, I drove over to the Framingham Fire Department to have them inspect the seats. The fireman said they don't do that, so they sent me over to see the Police. I went to the Police station, and they told me they don't do that anymore. BUMMER! Turns out there's an insurance issue. I totally get it. But I would sign something that says I wouldn't sue if they inspected and something bad happened. I'm sure I'm in the minority, so there you go.


Buying & installing the seats was a real treat. Even just looking at these two seats in my car make me smile. I guess in some way it makes me feel like I'm contributing to the pregnancy. But I really enjoyed this. Made me feel all the more excited for the arrival of my sons. Walking around Babies R Us was, admittedly, kinda fun. The initial shock has worn off, and I even found myself happily looking at carriages, onesies, changing tables...all totally new concepts to this geek boy.


On Thursday we went to Newton-Wellsley for Kathy's checkup. Kath mentioned that she was concerned as she hadn't felt Jumpy moving like she used to. So they sent us to have a non-stress test done on the babies. It's a fascinating procedure where they monitor the babies' heartbeats and movement is indicated by proximity to the sensors and the sudden heart rate increase. As it turns out, both babies are doing fine. A lot of the movement she was feeling down low was Jumpy, not Kicky.


Kathy's working at home today. We got a ton of snow last night & this morning. Okay Mother Nature...get it out of your system now. I need nice clean roads for when Kathy's labor, dammit!


Later,
- Joe