Friday, April 18, 2008

What will the future bring?

Kathy belongs to a Mom's of Multiples Support Group. Gotta say, it's been a terrific resource. They even connect you with a mom who's gone through what you're going through so you can directly ask for advice, vent...etc. They also have a forum where you can write to the entire group.


One of the stories Kathy told me about was a woman writing in about her young twin boys and how they've both graduated to normal beds. As momentous as this is in the grand scheme of things, the obvious happened: the boys now will not stay in their beds and they basically try to play all night long. So her question to the forum was, "who has been through this and how do I handle this?" Not surprisingly, practically everyone in the group had a similar story and advice on how to deal with it.


Later on in the evening when I was feeding Jason, I was thinking about what it's going to be like when my sons get to that age. I mean, right now they're sharing a crib (that will most likely change this weekend). But I fully expect the two of them to go nuts when they get their own real beds. I mean, beds are terrific indoor trampolines and with a little imagination can be anything from boats to cars to spacecraft to riding on the backs of dinosaurs (as they're my kids, I imagine they'll be hitching rides on the backs of Godzilla and King Ghidorah). Since the house we own is relatively tiny, they'll be sharing a room for quite some time (probably until college, but don't tell them that).


Naturally, the next thought that crossed my mind was how Kath & I would handle this concept of bedtime...which actually means you need to go to sleep. I thought back to how my folks dealt with my sister and myself. The problem being is I don't remember too much. I do recall my dad telling me to turn off the radio (I loved listening to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights) and to go to sleep. This was generally okay with me, as I was taping the shows anyway. The only problem was the tapes were 45 minutes a side and I needed to be awake to flip it over...hey...couldn't bear to miss the "Funny Five" at midnight. So I would be as quiet as I could...pretending to be asleep when my dad walked in to check. As soon as the tape ran out, I would flip it, hit record and nod off. The neat part was sometimes the tape would run past the Dr. D. show and I'd record whatever was on WCOZ right after. Incidentally, that's how I discovered Blue Oyster Cult.

I digress.

So what will we do? How will we handle that scenario? The answer is quite simple: who the hell knows. We'll burn that bridge when we cross it. Right now, I'm absolutely thrilled with the two infant boyz we have in our life and I'm trying to stop to smell the roses, as it were. I want to remember every moment of my sons' lives as best I can, and I realize that actually stopping and saying to myself..."remember where you are and how you feel right at this moment" is vital.


Of course, I'm already forgetting the ends of books and which episode of "The Office" I've seen, so that's why I have a camera. Visual aides are always a good thing. Also, this blog. I hope to someday print out all this verbal garbage and keep it for Kathy, me & the boyz to read. Maybe it will be good for a laugh, a smile or at least a jogged memory.


More later,


Joe