Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another right of passage

My poor wife. Yes, I know...that's a fairly obvious statement...but I'm not referring to the fact she's married to me. I'm referring to the fact that she seems to have contracted the cold that's going around the household. She has laryngitis, which makes communication over the screams of two sick babies impossible. Hey, I can't read lips. Sue me. I tried to feed the babies alone so she could rest, but they're just a handful at the moment. I'm feeding one while the other's snorting, coughing and crying. So much for sleeping.

I called the Pediatrician this morning, as instructed by the hospital, to inform him of Jason's progress. It was an odd conversation, as any questions I asked were funneled to me by a whispering wife (good name for a band). While I was on the phone, I was feeding Jason who's refusing to drink more than 2-3oz (he normally drinks 4-5oz). So he's complaining to me that he doesn't want to eat anymore and would just prefer to be held, thank you. I was ready to oblige when I realized he hadn't burped a good burp in some time. I picked him up and he projectile barfed all over himself and me.

Needless to say, I was a bit late for work this morning.

My mother-in-law, Kay, goes back to Texas on Thursday. Very sad news, as she's been nothing but a wonder around the house. I don't know how Kathy would have survived juggling two babies, two cats, a dog, a household and a stupid husband. Roger went back on Monday and his sense of humor and bottle washing abilities are very much missed. But to the Johnsons: Thank You. It's not really recompense for all of the work you've done for us, but it's sincere.

Kay said she'll return in 5-6 weeks to help Kathy & I get ready for nannydom. Fortunately, time flies.

-Joe