Monday, June 8, 2009

Catching Up

Big thanks and kudos to Joe for updating the blog. I'm just coming up for air now after a hectic May. Here's the post I meant for May 20th:

Kicky and Jumpy get a visit from Oma and Opa and Auntie Diane

It's been a verrry busy week at our house, scratch that...busy month! Oma and Opa visited in May, leving the hot and dusty state of 10 gallon hats, cults and former good ol' boy presidents to visit the liberal, overly taxed state of MA in order to play with and cuddle the Jumpster and the Kickster. Auntie Diane left her toasty home state and flew across two-thirds of our country to do the very same.

The boys loved their grandparents and their grandauntie. Jumpy thought Opa's lip-popping was hilarious. Kicky enjoyed telling everyone stories and cycling through his ever-expanding vocabulary impressing everyone. Oma and Auntie did a great job at feeding our picky eaters. They were up against two teething toddlers who were pretty certain that they didn't know all of the house rules.

Speaking of....Jason sure was surprised when Opa firmly stated house rule #22 "Feet on the floor" after the Jumpmeister was caught sliding along the second level bookshelf on is tummy, feet kicking in the air.



Big Developments
Today, Wed, Jason said "house". Kevin pointed to a lion in the "Noah" book and then pointed to a lion in a poster that is hung on the nursery wall. Notable because 1) he was pointing out a relationship between objects that are the same and 2) he noticed the contents of the poster at some point in time. Later, as we read "Goodnight Gorilla" he pointed to the lion in the book and then up at the poster again. You go Kicky!

My Mom asked me if I was impressed with all the words that the boys are saying. I certainly am but what really blows my mind are all the concepts that they boys are grasping. The lion thing mentioned above, the various house rules and the fact that Jason knowingly flouts some of them and when I catch him he screws up his face into a hilarious goofy grin as if that's going to get him off the hook. It's almost an "I'm too cute for rules" look.

Another amazing example: Joe came home from work and then had plans and left shortly after his arrival. The boys kept hanging around the babygate, looking upstairs and saying "Dada". Finally I said, "Dada isn't upstairs. He's out. He's outside. Just like us earlier today. We went out and now, Daddy is out." The boys moved away from the gate. Kevin said "outside" and Jason said "out" and then followed that up with "Dada out" and "outside". They didn't go back to the gate again and Oma, Opa and I put the wee lads to bed.

Kevin has been saying "I see" followed by him pointing at various things. He sometimes says words, sometimes he just points. On Monday as I changed Jason, Kevin stood at the window pointing and frantically saying "I see! I see! I see!". I wrapped things up, literally, and then went to the window to discover what he was seeing. It turned out that it was Mailman Paul's truck and Mailman Paul. That's a big deal at our house. The boys play mailman with our junk mail. They stick the mail under the cushion of the rocking chair. Pretty funny.

I'll add pix later to an all pix post.