Monday, April 27, 2009

Wardrobe Malfunction

I don't typically dress the boys alike. There are days when I do. Joe likes it and Sue thinks it's cute so I do it more for them than for anyone. Due to the recent heatwave, I've been caught unprepared and have few available options for the wee lads. 

Today I grabbed 2 of the few short sleeve shirts available - navy polo shirts with white stripes. I grabbed 2 pair of light weight gray nylon pants and proceeded to dress Jumpy and Kicky. They both look like they are going clamming in Newport. Very cute.

The boys settle down to some serious play. Jumpy is in the roundabout, furiously placing balls into the openings and watching them spin down and around. Kicky is standing outside the roundabout and tossing balls into the openings and also trying to slip balls through the slats of his crib.

I'm watching the boys from across the room and notice that Jason pushes Kevin by reaching over and pushing his left shoulder. Almost like a "knocking a chip off his shoulder" motion. At first I think he is trying to stop Kevin from playing with the roundabout. But he does it a few more times and then he grabs Kevin's shirt and pulls it. Then he lets go and grabs his own shirt and pulls. He does this a few more times and looks up at me. His face is neutral...not happy, not annoyed or angry. Just blank.  He looks up at me and pulls his shirt.
So, I (duh) realize that he's silently commenting on the fact that their clothes are the same. I'm not sure how he felt about it. I don't want to read into it or assume anything. I did say "Kevin's shirt is the same as yours. Jason's shirt is the same as Kevin's." I added that they were "dressed alike".  Jason tugged at both shirts. Finally he went back to playing with the roundabout. If there was an epiphany, it had passed.

Kevin didn't notice anything.