Friday, December 5, 2008

No Fun At Our House This Week

Well, it's been no fun at our house this week. Awww, that's only partly true. The boys have been miserably sick with colds. Boogies, coughing, difficulty breathing, up all night as they struggle to breath and deal w/the dripping mucous. Then add their teething. Poor little guys. Kevin is working on pushing out some molars while Jason has a lower incisor that's due to arrive any day now. Joe has caught their cold. Then there's our sweet Delta. We've definitely had better weeks.

Thank you to all who offered their good wishes and sympathy about Delta. I think we've all lost a pet so it's an experience we all share. Pets bring so much to our lives and they definitely take a piece of our hearts when they pass.

There have been a few chuckles this week. Kevin has taken to sneezing and blowing his food all over whomever is feeding him. Yes, it's gross, but it's pretty funny as he smiles a huge, adorably cute smile each time so you do tend to laugh. Both boys think that sneezing is hilarious. They like when Joe blows his nose. They are such boys...gross stuff is funny. There's a dearth of estrogen in our house. Even the cats are boys.

Kevin is a speedy little crawler now and was especially adorable as he followed Mango (our Maine coon cat) around the nursery. Sadly, Mango is vacuous. He doesn't know that we have a nursery, babies or that he's a cat. So he had no idea that he was being closely tailed by Kicky.

Jason has been especially adorable. Sadly, I startled him last night. I think he was pretty shaken up in fact. He was napping in the nursery when I arrived home. Sue and I were chatting at the foot of the stairs and he woke up/cried out. I assumed he heard/was awakened by my voice. We both went upstairs but I went into my room and Sue went into the nursery and picked Jason up. She took him downstairs to play and I stayed in my room to sew something. After a bit, I came downstairs. As I descended, I could hear Sue say "Who's that? Is that Mama?"

When I got to the bottom of the stairs, Jason looked up at me and just sat staring in shock. Several things might have been running through his mind...."Was she up there all day?" "Where did she come from?" "Why has she been ignoring me all day?" etc. etc.

He had a dumbfounded expression and kept looking to Sue for reassurance. It took him quite awhile to come around and after 5 or so minutes, I got a smile and some chatter. Poor guy. He really is scheduled and likes things to go the same way every day. Change is not a good thing for Jason. Mama should never just appear from upstairs like that. She should always come in the kitchen door, take off her coat, wash her hands and then give hugs and kisses. I'll do my best to keep with the existing plan.

I've made 3 small photo albums that contain photos of all our family members. Jason has his own personal one as does Kevin. As I flipped through the pages of Jason's photo album, I was naming each family member. I flipped the page and said "Look Jason, here's Molly." Jason leaned down and kissed Molly's photo. I was stunned. I nudged Joe and motioned for him to watch and then I said "Look Jason, who's this? Is it Molly?" He leaned down and kissed her photo, again. We were both stunned. What a sweet little boy.

Kevin, also a sweetie normally, but lately he's developed quite a pushy little personality. Yesterday he crawled on top of Jason's back as Jason was lying on the carpet. Once perched atop his brother, Kevin just sort of stood there, in a pushup position. Jason finally got uncomfortable and rolled over causing Kevin to roll onto the floor. Anticipating tears as his head hit the floor, I was shocked as Kevin just laughed it off.

Today, Kevin crawled from one side of the nursery to the other where he grabbed a toy away from Jason and then pushed him backwards. Our little Kickybear could benefit from learning about sharing, being polite and being gentle.

Jason is so close to crawling that if I get home tonight and Sue says that he's now crawling, I will not be surprised.

This weekend we'll finish babyproofing and safetying-up the nursery. We're removing top heavy furniture and installing a babygate outside their bedroom door. I've got the itch to move furniture all around the house. Poor Joe. He's a tolerant man but I know I'll have to have my "carrot on the stick" ready in order to achieve my goal. Remember to reward your puppy so that he'll do what you want him to do. (A reference to If A Man Answers. If I'd known that I would date and eventually marry Joe, I would never have told him about that movie. At least he's okay with the general idea.)

I'll have to add photos of the boys later as I'm on a different pc w/o the new photos.

Hope you all are having a good day.
Love,
Kathy