Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby stuff and books

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I saw a baby swing for those parents doing the "hands-off" approach...but I was just more upset that they just didn't make these adult-sized. It's finally up on the Babies R Us website:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2878552

You know, this product is really amazing. I love the iPod connectors. But, you know...$170 can buy a lot of diapers. With twins, maybe even enough diapers for a whole DAY.

Last night I began reading a book my new friend Carlos (father of twin girls) recommended: "Hit the Ground Crawling: Lessons From 150,000 New Fathers" by Greg Bishop. This is a really great read. I'm actually finding answers to questions I didn't know I was going to ask but most assuredly would when the kiddos arrive. In the liner notes they have quotes from presumably real fathers. Little bits of advice and wisdom...even little comforting panic sentences like, "I was in no way prepared for this...but even if I was, I wouldn't have been."

I think the aspect of being a parent for the first time that I'm looking forward the most to is something that Gomez shared with me when his son Michael was born. He said that you don't know what love is until you see your child for the first time. You love your folks, your wife, your Xbox...but true love comes along when you're holding your infant.

'nuff said.

-Joe